Shared By: Ted Farrand, FMP – Vice President
Washington, DC Office
- 3 lbs Potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 sticks (16 oz.) Butter, unsalted
- 1 ¼ cups Hot Milk
- To taste Black Pepper, freshly ground
- 1 head Cabbage, green, cored and finely shredded
- 1 lb piece Ham or bacon,
- 2 each Green Onions, finely chopped
- ¼ cup Parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Put ham or bacon in large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 to 45 minutes, or until tender. Drain. Remove any excess fat and chop into small pieces. Keep warm or reheat when doing final assembly.
- Steam the potatoes in their skins for 30 minutes. Peel them using a sharp knife and fork. Mash thoroughly to remove all lumps. Add 1 stick (8 oz.) of butter in pieces, and gradually add hot milk, stirring continuously. Season with black pepper.
- Boil the cabbage in unsalted water until it turns a darker color. Add 2 tablespoons butter to tenderize it. Cover with lid for 2 minutes. Drain throughout before returning it to the pan. Chop into small pieces.
- Combine cabbage, green onions, ham or bacon pieces and mashed potatoes, stirring gently.
- Serve in individual soup plates with a tablespoon of butter placed on an indentation on the top. Sprinkle with parsley.